LWVMA is an organization fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in principle and in practice. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the organization’s current and future success in engaging all individuals, households, communities, and policy makers in creating a more perfect democracy. LWVMA is committed to providing training for its members focused on raising awareness, offering skills to utilize, sharing tools and resources to embody a more inclusive, welcoming, and diverse organization.
LWVUS Resources to support your League’s effort to educate yourself on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). – Many great DEI resources can be found on the national website. Below, we have provided direct links to each category and to a few items that we find particularly useful.
DEI Continued Learning Materials, including Articles, Books and Audio materials
- The Hillbilly Elegy, JD Vance
- Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces that Shape Our Decisions, Arielly, Daniel
- How to Overcome Biases, Verna Myers
- Advancing the League’s Goal to Increase Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Through Action – October 30, 2018 – Led by Diversity Dimensions Consulting, LLC—a Washington, D.C. based company that provides effective solutions to individuals and organizations seeking to harness the power of diversity and inclusion.
- The Danger of a Single Story and Calling In – March 28, 2019 – This webinar covered Chimamanda Adichie’s The Danger of a Single Story TED Talk.
- The Power of Words and Common Definitions – April 25, 2019 – Using our DEI policy and our definitions of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion this webinar covered the words we use in our DEI work and their meaning.
- Feminist Friendship – May 24, 2019 – This webinar was presented by Dr. Cori Wong. – Dr. Cori Wong serves as Assistant Vice President for Gender Equity in the Office of the Vice President for Diversity at Colorado State University and Director of the Women & Gender Collaborative, a presidential initiative to improve the campus culture and climate around gender.
- DEI Lens – June 27, 2019 – The concept of a DEI lens, how to view your League work through it, and how to expand that work to be more diverse, equitable, and inclusive. What To Ask When Examining Your Work Through a DEI Lens
- Making a Personal DEI Commitment – July 25, 2019 – This webinar explored how each of us should make a personal commitment to DEI and use it to enhance out League work in this area.
- Acknowledging the Past, Reimagining the Future – August 29, 2019 – Past LWVUS President Carolyn Jefferson-Jenkins presented this webinar speaking about the courageous and often overlooked women of color, and how we can move forward to actualize our values as individuals and as an organization. An Informational flyer on The Untold Story by Carolyn Jefferson-Jenkins. (To be released January 2020.)
Additional Resources from LWVMA – Below, we have provided direct links to 4 separate lists.
Books and Articles suitable for a book group or individual learning in three topic areas:
Please note: This is a “living document,” meaning we will be adding items as we become aware of them. If you have something to recommend, or you have questions or comments, please email us at: Diversitycommittee@lwvma.org Thank you!