The League of Women Voters believes that the proliferation of handguns and semi-automatic assault weapons in the United States is a major health and safety threat to its citizens. The League supports strong federal measures to limit the accessibility and regulate the ownership of these weapons by private citizens. The League supports regulating firearms for consumer safety. The League supports licensing procedures for gun ownership by private citizens to include a waiting period for background checks, personal identity verification, gun safety education and annual license renewal. The League supports a ban on assault weapons, enforcement of strict penalties for the improper possession of and crimes committed with handguns and assault weapons, and allocation of resources to better regulate and monitor gun dealers.
Educate Yourself on Massachusetts gun laws.
An article reviewing Massachusetts gun laws can be found here.
Contact your elected officials.
Join an organization.
- This Coalition is an umbrella of 65+ organizations united to address the gun violence epidemic. LWVMA is a member of the steering committee.
- Know the Signs Campaign, among others.
- Program sponsored by Moms Demand Action and Everytown for Gun Safety
- Normalizes conversations about whether there are guns where children will be visiting and if they are properly stored.
Lock It Up Campaign
- Grandmothers Against Gun Violence is standing by to help you expand their Lock It Up campaign to remind gun owners to keep their guns properly stored. Contact email@example.com.