LWVMA is pleased to announce its third annual Student Video Contest, sponsored by the LWVMA Citizen Education Fund. The theme for this year’s contest is “YOUth Should Vote!”
To mobilize the youth vote in Election 2016, we are inviting Massachusetts high school students to send us 30-second videos (public service announcements) that encourage young people to register to vote and turn out at the polls in November.
The contest kicks off on February 1, 2016 and runs through March 31, 2016. The first-place award is $1,000; second-place, $500; and third-place, $250. All winners will be invited to attend an award ceremony at the Massachusetts State House, and winning videos will be publicized throughout the state. Contest rules can be found here.
Your League’s personal outreach to your local high schools and other organizations encouraging participation will be a great help toward getting the word out about the contest.
- Consider assigning a member with a high school student or high school contacts to be the point person on the program for your League.
- Emails about the contest will be sent to Massachusetts high schools, but may not reach the people you know. Please email personal contacts (high school administrators, educators, students) directly using the suggested email.
- Announce the contest and distribute the flyer at League and other local events.
- Submit a letter to the editor to your local paper in January or February. The sample letter can be modified and your local League contacts added at the end.
- Post information about the contest on your website. You can find a sample post here.
- Share LWVMA’s Facebook posts about the contest on your Facebook wall.
- Discuss the contest and ideas for outreach at your next board meeting.
- Many Leagues have members who are teachers in other cities/towns. Ask them to promote the program at the high school in these cities/towns, especially if there is no League in the city/town.
- Talk the contest up wherever you are whenever you can!