LWVMA is pleased to announce its eighth annual Student Video Contest, sponsored by the LWVMA Citizen Education Fund. The theme for this year’s contest is the Democracy Challenge.
We invite Massachusetts high school students to create and submit 30-second public service announcements responding to the question, “what did you learn about our democracy in 2020?”
Students can upload videos to the contest website between February 11 and April 2, 2021. The first-place award is $500; second-place, $250; and third-place, $100. A school with multiple exceptional entries will also receive a $250 Catalyst Award. All winners will be invited to attend a virtual award ceremony, and winning videos will be publicized. Click here to enter the contest website. A pdf of the contest rules can be found here. Click here for the Parent/Guardian Permission Form and the Actor Release.
Your League’s personal outreach to your local high schools and other organizations encouraging participation will be a great help toward getting the word out about the contest.
- Consider assigning a member with a high school student or high school contacts to be the point person on the program for your League.
- Emails about the contest will be sent to Massachusetts high schools, but may not reach the people you know. Please email personal contacts (high school administrators, educators, students) directly using the suggested email.
- Submit a letter to the editor to your local paper in February, March or April. The sample letter can be modified and your local League contacts added at the end.
- Post information about the contest on your website. You can find a sample post here.
- Share LWVMA’s Facebook posts about the contest on your Facebook wall.
- Discuss the contest and ideas for outreach at your next board meeting.
- Many Leagues have members who are teachers in other cities/towns. Ask them to promote the program at the high school in these cities/towns, especially if there is no League in the city/town.
- Talk the contest up wherever you are whenever you can!